House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez has dared Vice President Robredo to win the speakership first if she wants to call the shots on how lawmakers should vote on the death penalty.
Alvarez issued the challenge after Robredo said he should allow his colleagues to vote on the proposal to bring back capital punishment according to their conscience.
She should give up the vice presidency, run again in her district and aspire for the speakership. If she is elected speaker, she can run the House the way she wants to. I will not meddle with her. In the meantime, she should not meddle with us,” he said.
The Speaker likewise dared Catholic bishops to be in his shoes first before criticizing his actions.
“They should not meddle with us. Why should they tell me how to do my job? They should first run for Congress,” he said.
Alvarez has drawn flak for threatening to remove House leaders who will not support the passage of the death penalty bill. He said members of the supermajority coalition supportive of the administration should back the legislative measure.
“We have to help President Duterte by approving the legislative measures he is pushing for, like the death penalty bill. If I cannot shepherd the approval of these measures, what I am Speaker for? They might as well replace me,” he said.
One of those in danger of being replaced as a House leader is former President and now Deputy Speaker Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, who is against bringing back the death penalty.
- HOUSE LAUNCHING FUND DRIVE FOR MARAWI RELIEF OPERATIONS
- Di lang terorista ang habol! Duterte wants soldiers to target drugs in Mindanao
- Anong very good?! Korina Sanchez: Duterte can’t sanitize the horrors of Marcos’ martial law with praises
- Tutuluyan na! Napoles to file pork scam raps vs. Abad, Drilon, De Lima, Trillanes – Aguirre
- IT’S TIME FOR BAYANIHAN IN TIMES OF CRISIS. CONTACT DUTERTE’S KITCHEN, CDO & ILIGAN CHAPTERS