Robredo to still reach out to Duterte even after resignation from Cabinet

Robredo to still reach out to Duterte even after resignation from Cabinet

Vice President Leni Robredo on Wednesday said despite her resignation from Cabinet, she will still reach out to President Rodrigo Duterte, pointing out that it is part of her obligation as vice president to support the chief executive. Current top breaking Philippine headlines regarding the nation, world, metro manila, regions and exclusive special investigative reports.

Vice President Leni Robredo on Wednesday said despite her resignation from Cabinet, she will still reach out to President Rodrigo Duterte, pointing out that it is part of her obligation as vice president to support the chief executive.

Robredo, who formally stepped down as Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC) chair on Monday, had earlier said she will still support the administration’s “good” policies and programs. 

“Ako naman magre-reach out pa rin ako kay Presidente kasi tingin ko obligasyon ko na maging supportive sa kaniya,” she told reporters at the sidelines of Teachers’ Congress in Surigao City.

Robredo said she was invited to the change of command ceremonies of the Armed Forces of the Philippines on Wednesday, where she would have met Duterte for the first time since her resignation.

However, she had prior out-of-town engagements and couldn’t make it back in Manila on time for the event.

The country’s top two officials first met at a similar ceremony last July 1.

While Duterte was initially non-committal to meet Robredo or to give her a Cabinet post—given his friendship to her rival, former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.—the event led to her courtesy visit to Malacañang. Days later, Duterte offered her the HUDCC portfolio.

Robredo resigned as HUDCC chief following Duterte’s directive, through Cabinet Secretary Leoncio Evasco Jr., for her to “desist from attending all Cabinet meetings.”

In explaining the order, Palace officials cited her and the President’s “irreconcilable differences” over certain issues including the controversial burial of Bongbong’s father and namesake, the late President Ferdinand Marcos, at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, the revival of death penalty, and lowering of age of criminal liability.

While the President accepted her resignation “with a heavy heart,” presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella said Duterte “felt uncomfortable” with her “engagement with certain political actions.” 

Robredo, however, reiterated that she would not change her stance on issues she is opposed to.

“[B]aka ang gustong sabihin magsasang-ayon tayo sa lahat ng polisiya ng gobyerno. Mahirap naman iyon sa akin kasi noong hinire ako, klaro naman sa amin kung ano ang position ko sa mga bagay,” Robredo said in response to Abella’s statement.

“Iyong Marcos burial, extrajudicial killings, klaro ang position ko doon, even with my appointment sa Gabinete, hindi ko babaguhin ang posisyon ko. Kaya kung iyon ang dahilan, it only goes to show na talagang untenable na ang samahan kasi kung hindi din matatanggap ang differences in opinions, hindi din ako makakapagsilbi nang mahusay kasi may mga hadlang sa taas,” she added.

Robredo underscored her earlier pronouncement that she wishes to help the government in any way the President asks her to.

However, she added: “Ang hindi ko lang ma-promise ay iyong mga bagay na hindi namin pinagkakaintindihan, hindi ko ipagpapalit ang aking desisyon. Kasi ang mga bagay na hindi namin pinagkakaintindihan, sigurado ako sa conviction ko doon. Iyon ang hinihingi ko ng tawad na hindi ko mabibigay sa kaniya.” Rose-An Jessica Dioquino/KBK, GMA News

– See more at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/591643/news/nation/robredo-to-still-reach-out-to-duterte-even-after-resignation-from-cabinet#sthash.imCSdDtW.dpuf

Comments

comments